Wednesday, May 2, 2018

TRIP OF A LIFETIME

As you may have read in the introduction, I love animals and photographing them. I love birdwatching too. My birdwatching passion had taken me to Valley School, a bird watchers paradise, with banyan trees, grassy plains and a bamboo grove with a stream. There it is, but how would I  have know about this place? Earlier in 2016, my mother went to a place called Keoladeo Ghana National Park, a birder's paradise too. There she met Arun, or who I would call at my age, Arun uncle. So on our 5th trip to Valley School, Arun uncle was talking about his Bandipur trip. He said "we went to Bandipur looking for tigers. We saw bears and leopards but no tigers". Then my father said "we're going to Tadoba and Pench, which are famous for tiger sightings". Arun uncle asked "can i come too?" We said yes and booked 3 nights in Tadoba and 2 nights in Pench. and it was set; 4th March 2018 was when we were leaving. Arun uncle packed properly, bringing 2 cameras and 3 lenses (1 500 mm, 1 300 mm and one without any zoom), my father brought his and my camera. 2 spare batteries for himself and 3 for me. And on 4th March I was awake at 2 am in the morning. It was an early start to the day, usually I wake up 2 and a half hours after that. At 9 we reached our resort, called Royal Tiger resort. While we were getting our rooms, we did some bird watching. We saw an Indian roller (Coracias benghalensis), but it flew away before we could get any photos. Our resort was full of red vented bulbuls (Pycnonotus cafer) and even house sparrows (Passer domesticus). My mother spotted a green bird with a light blue chin through her binocs. She ran to ask Arun uncle while I and my father were taking photos. Arun uncle said that it was a leafbird. Later, I identified it as a golden fronted leafbird (Choloropsis aurifrons).
Golden fronted leafbird (Choloropsis aurifrons)
  After that, we got our rooms, ate lunch and at 2 p.m, we went for our first safari. We had heard that Madhuri, one of the tiger celebrities of Tadoba, and her cubs, had been seen in the morning. We were in the forest and in that moment... my father spotted a racket drongo flying in the sky briefly. Our first stop was a lake where Madhuri was seen often. We didn't see her anywhere there. We left and in 10 kilometers we stopped at another watering hole, it was filled with rufous treepies (Dendrocitta vagabunda)
Rufous treepie (Dendrocitta vagabunda
After 30 minutes of waiting, my mother heard a sound in the bushes. We looked back and walking happily just 10 feet from us was an male Indian sloth bear (Melursus ursinus ursinus). Before we could take any photos, the bear sniffed us and ran away. After that, we decided to leave. We drove for a few minutes. Suddenly, I spotted a blue bird. I shouted "pitta!" The guide corrected me and said it was an orange headed thrush (Geokichla citrina). The driver didn't care about stopping and the bird flew away. We continued and then, suddenly, an Indian boar (Sus scrofa cristatus) and an Indian peacock (Pavo cristatus) crossed the path. 
Indian boar (Sus scrofa cristatus)
After that we heard some rustling in the bushes. And then, in front of us, a male grey junglefowl (Gallus sonneratii) crossed the road. 
Grey junglefowl (Gallus sonneratii
We started driving, then in front of us, another bear emerged from the bushes from far away. 
Indian sloth bear (Melursus ursinus ursinus)
After that, the bear ran into the bushes. We started driving, and then another thrush popped up. Our jeep immediately stopped, however, the thrush flew in the tree. Arun uncle's years of birding made him  very experienced. He told them to stop the jeep. After 30 seconds, the thrush emerged on to the road. We followed it around. Then, when we were about to leave, the thrush sat on a perch with a perfect background. We just had to stop. Then the thrush flew away. 
Orange headed thrush (Geokichla citrna) 
The next day, I was up at 4:30 a.m, the time I usually wake up. Arun uncle, my father and my mother had tea. Our gate this time was far away, so we had to take a car. On the way, we saw 6 savanna nightjars (Caprimulgus affinis). Before even starting the jeep before the safari, we saw a spotted owlet (Athene brama). The light was too low and we couldn't get a photo. We started and saw a few red junglefowl (Gallus gallus). Suddenly, we heard an alarm call. We quickly drove to the place it was coming from. We saw a line of jeeps. We also joined. Then, in front of us, a majesty, the most beautiful animal ever. We were greeted by Choti Tara's two 21 month old cubs, which my father likes to call "T1 and T2". The first wild Bengal tigers (Panthera tigris tigris) we had seen in our lives. We went for safaris to Nagarhole, Kabini, Bandipur, BR Hills, Masnagudi, Mududmalai, Wayanad, Badra and Satkosia with no luck. 
Bengal tiger (Panthera tigris tigris)
We enjoyed watching the tigers for 1 and a half hours. We then proceeded. While driving, we reached Tadoba lake. We stopped at an opening that had at least 4 species - Indian darter (Aningha melanogaster), mugger crocodile (Crocodylus palustris), red-naped ibis (Pseudibis papillosa) and lesser whistling ducks (Dendrocygna javanica). 
Red naped ibis (Pseudibis papillosa), Mugger crocodile (Crocodylus palustris) and lesser whistling duck (Dendrocygna javanica)
Our guide asked if we wanted to see a brown fish owl (Ketupa zeylonensis), we all said yes. The guide took us to a Tamarind tree. He said the owl perches there daily. We saw the owl, however, it was only showing us its back. We left and returned to the resort. On the way to the resort, we stopped at the reception, which was full of jungle babblers (Turdoides striata)
Jungle babbler (Turdoides striata)


In the afternoon safari, we went to Moharli gate, which is literally walking distance (we didn't walk though, a jeep took us). Our jeep took us over to a large lake, called Telia lake. We were on a slope, far from the lake, although we could see it. We were driving slowly. Suddenly, our guide spotted something and rushed down the slope. There was a tiger, named Sonam. Sonam is the leader of the "Tiger Sisters of Telia". It was a gang of 4 tigers-Sonam, Mona, Lara and Geeta. They were the only tigers that lived together. One day, Sonam thought that it is time to become leader. She fought with all her sisters and drove all of them away. She was deep in the bushes, all we saw was movement and a few stripes. Suddenly, Sonam crossed the road and disappeared in the grass. We had heard that Sonam had cubs. We observed Sonam from the far away on the other side of Telia lake. Her cubs took the long cut. I looked in front and I saw the tail of the cub...For half a second. Then, far away on the other side of the lake, we saw Sonam and her cubs. 

Sonam crossing
With cubs
Eventually, one of Sonam's cubs went for a drink, 2 others joined. Even Sonam came after that. All of them swam towards us. They got onto land and were hidden in the grass. Soon, a pied kingfisher joined, hovering in the air. Soon, I got bored. My father asked if we could see something else. The drivers took us on a road. Suddenly, we stopped. It was a pack of Ussuri dholes (Cuon alpinus alpinus) or Indian wild dogs. They said seeing a single dhole in Tadoba was rare, and we saw a whole pack. That pack's alpha male had a collar. There were also gaur. One of the dholes was curious and tried biting the gaur, the gaur chased the dhole. Soon a wild boar joined. It started wallowing in the mud. The pups got curious and started circling the boar and playing with it. Soon the boar went away. Then the dholes started drinking water from a solar tank. Then, the dholes ran on the road and played for a few seconds before running away. 
Ussuri dhole (Cuon alpinus alpinus). The alpha in the middle.
Gaur (Bos gaurus)
The lucky Indian boar (Sus scrofa cristatus)

The next day, our jeep came at 5 a.m. We had ordered a maaza (mango juice) bottle, that was taking a long time to come. We waited and waited, my father said let's go. I said no. The reason for saying no is that my main source of hydration is juice. I do not drink water for hydration. And it was 35 degrees during the morning safari. But we were extremely lucky that we waited for our juice. The juice finally came. Arun uncle kept blaming me-"because of your juice we got delayed, see how many jeeps are in front of us" with a smile. We went to the spot where we saw Sonam crossing. She was hiding in the grass, almost invisible. I thought "why do we need a photo of a tiger hidden in the grass while I have such good photos when they weren't hidden and out in the open". My father answered the question even though I didn't ask him. Sonam had...made a kill. A kill of a stag Indian sambar deer (Rusa uniclor unicolor)
Instead of taking photos, I took videos. She dragged the kill, which weighed about 200 pounds, through the grass. I could finally see her. She dragged it into a clearing, where we could clearly see her. My father got on to some one else's jeep. My mother, however...Forgot her phone in the room. She asked my father for the video camera that he got just in case something like this happens. She was mad because she didn't get her phone and the camcorder had some dirt in front of it. I filmed everything. Then Sonam came to the side of the road. I took 3 quick pics and started recording again. My mother wanted to stop recording too. She hit the button...And then it started recording. She didn't record till then. Arun uncle said "what are you doing?! This is worse than maaza". She replied, don't worry, Neel has been recording". She asked me if I have been recording till now. I replied "yes, recording for sure". My mother asked my father how to record. She started recording. Then, Sonam dragged the kill across the road, just 15 feet from us, in an open jeep, with no obstruction for us. "So, how did you get lucky because of the mazza?" you may ask. The answer is, all the jeeps that came earlier, even though ahead of us, had a very obstructed view. We were very late, and since Sonam crossed the road right next to us, we had an unobstructed view. After that, she dragged her kill into the safety of a bush, where her cubs can feed. Arun uncle was jealous of my father as Sonam was too close he couldn't get full frame with his 500 mm lens, while my father had a 16 mm lens.
Sonam with stag Indian sambar (Rusa unicolor unicolor) kill
We left the area. Soon after we left, we came across a pair of Indian barking deer (Muntiacus muntjak).

Indian barking deer (Muntiacus muntjak) female (above) and male (below)
We left the deer alone and went to a watering hole. There was a woolly necked stork (Ciconia episcopus). I spotted a small bird, jumping around. I got a photo and later identified it as an ashy crowned sparrow lark (Eremopterix griseus). We went to the reception as the driver, the guide and Arun uncle had to go to the toilet. After that, our guide told us about a tigress that had been seen in the morning using camera traps named after a river. We went following them and found another jeep. They said a tiger crossed the road a few minutes before we arrived. We waited and spotted a male black redstart (Phoenicurus ochruros). We left the area and  went to the place where we saw T1 and T2. On the way, I spotted a raptor. I shouted, "stop!". We looked at it. Arun uncle identified it as an Oriental honey buzzard (Pernis ptilorhynchus). Arun uncle told them to wait for him to photograph the sunrise. As he photographed the sunrise, I stared at a tree looking at a bulbul when suddenly, a green bird flew on to the tree. It was a male golden fronted leafbird (Choloropsis aurifrons). I shouted "leafbird, leafbird!". The guide looked at the tree and saw only the bulbul. I was busy taking photos. The guide said it was a bulbul while looking at the bulbul. Arun uncle, my father and my mother said the same thing. Then, I pointed it out. 
Golden fronted leafbird (Choloropsis auurifrons) male
After that, we proceeded; even the buzzards started flying. We talked to another jeep, they said they had seen T1 and T2 from far. We went to the same place where we saw them yesterday. Our guide looked and spotted them. Then Arun uncle spotted them. My father and mother saw them after that. I still didn't see them. Then, my mother pointed them out. They were faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away. After that we went back to the resort. We went, put our cameras in the house and walked straight into the breakfast place after that. While walking to the room, my mother showed me a common tailor bird (Orthotomus sutorius). I rushed to the room to get my camera./ I came out with my camera hoping to see the tailor bird again. I didn't see it. I asked my mother where it was, she said it flew away. Just after that, the tailor bird returned. I sneaked up on it and got some photos. Then it flew to the back of the resort. We followed it and it flew away. Then, my mother whispered "paradise flycatcher". I asked "where?' She replied "right above you, white morph". Then, I spotted it, it was a male Indian paradise flycatcher (Terpsiphone paradisi paradisi). I got 2 photos before it flew away. My father rushed to get his camera. He ran after the paradise flycatcher. We saw it perched again, I and my father got a blurred photo. It flew away after that. He started getting photos of the tailor bird instead. Then, I spotted a redstart again. I started following it. Then, my mother called me. She spotted the flycatcher again. I followed her and got many photos. I went to the room and told my father. He got mad and asked my mother to show him where we saw it. He got his camera and came. We saw the flycatcher fly around. Then, it landed in a tree. That was the best posing paradise flycatcher ever. It sat out in the open for us for so long. When we left it, it still sat. 
Black redstart (Phoenicurus ochruros)

Common tailor bird (Orthotomus sutorius)

Indian paradise flycatcher (Terpsiphone paradisi paradisi)
After that, we went into the the room, my father started transferring photos. Our window had a bush in front of it. I spotted some movement in the bush. I went closer. It was a Blyth's reed warbler (Acrocephalus dumetorum). I got my camera and quickly got a photo, then continued charging it. 
Blyth's reed warbler (Acrocephalus dumetorum)
When it was almost time for the afternoon safari, I went outside. I saw my father pointing his camera at something. I ran and asked him what he was photographing. He said it was a fantail flycatcher. We did some bird watching there. My father spotted a female Asian koel (Eudynamys scolopaceus). flying. It came on the other side of the compound. We ran to get a photo. By the time I got there it flew away. Then, I spotted an orange headed thrush (Geokichla cirina) male. I told my mother about the thrush and the koel. She also came there. She spotted a male koel there. 
Orange headed thrush (Geokichla citrina)
Our jeep came, and we got in. We had the best guide. My father told the guide that we had already seen many tigers so we want to see bears or leopards. The guide took to a watering hole where they see leopards or bears most often.On the way we saw a female Alexanderine parakeet (Psittacula eupatria
Alexanderine parakeet (Psittacula eupatria)
We did not see anything there. We left the watering hole and went on to a tar road. Then, we heard an alarm call. We looked at the road. Suddenly, a tiny cat appeared in front of us. The guide shouted "leopard!". Running in front of us was a female Indian leopard (Panthera pardus fusca). By the time I turned on my camera, the leopard disappeared. Only my father got good photos. So unfair. We went away from the leopard and stopped at the Tamarind tree where they often see the brown fish owl (Ketupa zeylonensis) perched. We went to that tree. The guide immediately spotted it. He gave directions to us. My father spotted it first, then Arun uncle spotted it. After that I spotted it. I started taking photos. This time it looked at us. My mother still  had difficulties spotting it. Then, the owl flew into another tree and disappeared into a hole.



Common brown fish owl (Ketupa zeylonensis zeylonensis)

 After that we heard about a tiger that had been seen. A tiger that my father had been wanting to see months before we came to Tadoba. We went to a watering hole, also called T2. We reached there, and from far away we saw the tiger. It was the famous Maya. She was really far away. Her two cubs started playing all over her. Eventually, Maya got frustrated and chased them to the other side of the lake. We saw them play happily for a few seconds. 
Maya and cubs

Senior cub

Junior cub
After that we went to search for bears. We stopped at a watering hole that had a stag sambar in it. We didn't see any bears though. We drove to another watering hole. On a tree next to the watering hole, we saw a crested hawk eagle (Nisaetus cirrhatus). We heard another sound from another tree a few meters from our jeep. We drove there. It was a crested serpent eagle (Spiliornis cheela) calling. The eagle sat there for a few minutes. While Arun uncle, my father and my mother were talking, the eagle flew on to the side of the lake. We rushed there. By the time we got there, it flew to the banks (which wasn't very far, just 4 or 5 meters away). We all started taking photos. I took a few videos. We all turned of our cameras and we were about to leave. Then, in a flash, the hawk eagle landed on the crested serpent eagle. In a second the hawk eagle flew 2 or 3 meters away from the serpent eagle and landed. There were 2 eagles, both had crested in their name, side by side. 
Crested serpent eagle (Spiliornis cheela)

Crested serpent eagle (Spiliornis cheela-left) and crested hawk eagle (Nisaetus cirrhatus-right)

Crested hawk eagle (Nisaetus cirrhatus)
We enjoyed both of them drinking till the crested serpent eagle flew away. Only the hawk eagle was left. We thought of leaving but Arun uncle kept saying "abhi udega""abhi udega" (it will fly now). Finally, the hawk eagle stretched its wings and...tucked them back in. We went back to the resort after that. The next day, we got our guide and started. My father said we already saw tigers and we want to see leopards or bears. He said we saw a leopard run across the road yesterday. The guide said "mai tha" (I was there). My father could not identify the guide just because he was wearing a hat. hahahahahahaha. We went to a watering hole looking for bears. We saw an Indian sambar (Rusa unicolor unicolor) mum with her fawn. On a bush on the other side, there was a blue bird, skimming the water and coming back on the bush. My father said it was a kingfisher. I thought it was too bright blue to be a kingfisher. I looked through my camera and found out that it was a black naped monarch (Hypothymis azurea) male. Arun uncle and father disagreed. My mother agreed with me. It was too far to get any good photos, but my father got photos. I asked my father to show his photos to Arun uncle. It was a monarch. 
Indian Sambar (Rusa unicolor unicolor) mum with fawn.
After that, we went to the place where we saw T1 and T2. We saw them in the grass walking. Then they started coming out into a clearing. Then they started playing; T2 sat on T1. We watched the tigers. Something caught my eye after that. There were deer in the back. T1 sniffed the air, he sniffed the deer. He went back following the deer. The deer took a long cut and came behind the jeep. T1 came towards us. We quickly drove out of his way as he crossed the road. I thought "why did we have to drive out of his way? We could have had such a close encounter if we hadn't driven out of his way". T2 also walked towards us. I and my mother recorded everything that happened till now and we were still recording. T2 walked closer and closer not stopping for a second. We didn't move. The majesty came on to the road, 5 feet from our jeep, with the engine off. I was the closest, staring eye to eye with the most majestic, beautiful and powerful animal in the world - the tiger. He walked to us, making eye contact for 2 seconds before he disappeared into the bushes. We started talking, then, T2 ran after something, but didn't catch whatever he wanted to catch. We left him alone and went to search for the fish owl. We went to the Tamarind tree. We didn't see the fish owl but found another species, the jungle owlet (Glaucidium radiatum). The owlet had a stick in front of it, I had problems focusing. By the time I focused it had turned its head. This went on for long, then, some bulbuls chased it away. Then, we drove little bit more. Then, the guide spotted a woodpecker. We waited for them to come out in the open. Finally, they came out in the open. We identified them as lesser golden backed woodpeckers (Dinopium benghalense). Then, we drove back to the resort, had breakfast and left to go to Pench Tiger Reserve, which is a five hour drive from Tadoba. We reached our resort, called Tuli tiger corridor, in the evening. We got our rooms, ordered french fries and pakodas and sat on the seat that was given outside. I had my camera just in case some birds come. Then, 2 birds flew and sat on a bamboo stalk. We started taking photos. I looked at my photos and found out that it was a chestnut shouldered petronia (Gymnoris xanthocollis). I slept after that. In the morning I woke up, our jeep came and we started. We sat in the jeep for 15 minutes. Arun uncle saw a photo of a pangolin somewhere on some board somewhere on the way. He kept asking the guide if we could see a pangolin. The guide kept saying that pangolins are nocturnal animals. We talked for 15 minutes when suddenly, the driver stopped. He heard an alarm call. He drove and finally saw some movement. We waited and it came closer. It was a brave male Indian leopard (Panthera pardus fusca). Many jeeps gathered. Then, another male leopard crossed the road after that.
Indian leopard (Panthera pardus fusca) male
 Then after that, the leopard went back into the bushes. After that, we drove to a tree, where we saw a crested hawk eagle (Nisaetus cirrhatus) and a white eyed buzzard (Butastur teesa).
White eyed buzzard (Butastur teesa)

Crested hawk eagle (Nisaetus cirrhatus)
We drove away from the eagle and met another jeep. It had a lady who my father had seen driving in front of us after the airport. She said she was there when Sonam dragged her kill. She said that a tiger had sneaked up on them, and came too close for the full frame to fit in her camera lens. And it wasn't any tiger, it was the legendary tigress Collarwali. Collarwali is said to kill any dhole or jackal that she sees. If he hadn't stopped for that hawk eagle we would have also seen her! We had breakfast in the breakfast area. While having breakfast, I spotted a common myna (Acridotheres tristis) on a perfect perch with perfect light at the perfect distance and a yellow wattled lapwing (Vanellus malabaricus
Yellow wattled lapwing (Vanellus malabaricus)

Common myna (Acridotheres tristis)
After eating breakfast, we drove somewhere. We found an owl, a jungle owlet (Glaucidium radiatum), but this time, it was out in the open and looking at us.

After that, another jeep told us about a leopard sleeping. We went there. On the way there, we stopped at a watering hole filled with ruddy shellducks (Tadorna ferruginea) or Brahminy ducks.We drove for a few seconds and stopped again. We saw 2 male Indian peafowls dancing. One of the peacock's dance interested the northern plains gray langur (Semnopithecus entellus). The peahens were also there. One of the peahens started coming towards the peacock and...walked away. I got everything in a video. We continued and then stopped at another watering hole. There were western yellow wagtails (Motacilla flava) and wood sandpipers (Tringa glareola).
Wood sandpiper (Tringa glareola)
We went away, after half an hour of driving, we reached the place. The leopard's head was hidden by a root, occasionally it would remove its head for a few seconds
Indian leopard (Panthera pardus fusca) female
We enjoyed it for a few minutes before it became time to go back to the resort. In the afternoon safari, we didn't see anything. After 3 and a half hours, We saw a big line of jeeps. We asked them what it was. They said it was a crested serpent eagle (Spiliornis cheela). It was very far away. After that encounter with eagles at eye level on the ground, I didn't think about taking a photo. After that, we came across 2 Indian rollers (Coracias benghalensis). We waited with them for half and hour, hoping that they would fly. No luck. My father just took 200 photos of them. Arun uncle took 500 photos. I took 3 photos. 
The pretty Indian roller (Coracias benghalensis
We left that place. Then, I spotted a red junglefowl (Gallus gallus). We stopped, hoping to get a good photo, but the bird ran away. We sat as the sun set. Then, suddenly, we heard an alarm call. On hearing that, the driver immediately sat down and drove. We came across a line of jeeps. It was a leopard, hidden deep in the bushes. We waited for 10 minutes, after that, time ran out. We had to return. The next morning, our jeep came. We got inside. After a few minutes, we came across 3 pairs of Indian jackals (Canis aureus indicus). 
Indian jackal (Canis aureus indicus)
We left the jackals and then came across a troop of Rhesus macaques (Macacca mulatta). We got many photos.
Rhesus macaque (Macacca mulatta)
We left the monkeys and then  came across a pack of Ussuri dholes (Cuon alpinus alpinus). We followed the dholes. Since I already had pictures, I took videos. I took videos of everything. Suddenly, one dhole started running. Then we saw, it was making a kill. In 2 seconds the fawn was caught by all 4 of the dholes. In 10 seconds the internal organs started spilling out. In 40 seconds the fawn was in 4 pieces. The alpha male took the biggest piece and ran away. We followed the dholes till they ran into the bushes. We went away. We heard that they saw a leopard. We went there we saw it. It was a female. It was faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away. The leopard walked far away. Then, on the other side, we saw movement. It was a male leopard. They were going to mate! We observed the male as it walked. I took a video. We went all the way back to see the female again. We spotted a greater racket tailed drongo (Dicrurus paradiseus). I tried getting a photo, then, the jeep started speeding to the front of the line. We waited there and observed the leopard from far. Then it went away. We waited for 5 minutes. Then, my father spotted it on the road. We went at 20 kilometers an hour towards the leopard. The leopard ran off the road and onto some rocks. We saw her for 10 seconds before she went into the bushes. After that, we left the place to have breakfast. We finished breakfast. When we were having breakfast, there was a bush a few meters away. After finishing breakfast, we went. We heard that there was a tiger in that bush. There was a  tiger, a few meters away from us, while we were having breakfast. We went there. We waited. There was a person riding an elephant there. He said he could see  the tiger. We looked and looked, but we couldn't see it. Then, the guide and the driver shouted "tiger, tiger!". They could see it. Then Arun uncle saw some movement of the tiger. Then, I spotted a greater spotted eagle (Clanga clanga) high in the sky. I took a photo 
Greater spotted eagle (Clanga clanga)
We left the tiger. We were driving when we spotted a line of jeeps. We asked the guide what it was. Without even looking, he said "nightjar". Arun uncle got excited. Of all the failed attempts of trying to get the Jerdon's nightjar (Camprimulgus atripennis) in Valley School, He wouldn't end the safari without getting photos. We looked for the nightjar. My father was the first to spot it. I looked and looked. I asked my father to show me the photos. The moment I saw the photo I spotted the nightjar. Arun uncle started panicking. He asked where is the nightjar. He couldn't see it. Finally he spotted it. The driver still had difficulties spotting it. Finally, he also spotted it. We later identified it as an Indian nightjar (Camprimulgus asiaticus). 

Indian nightjar (Caprimulgus asiaticus)

Then, the safari got over. We had to leave to get our flights. Bye Pench. Bye Tadoba. It was the best trip of our life. 

10 comments:

  1. No one will believe that this is written by a 8 year old child.maturity and details are striking. Keep it up Neel. Proud of you.dksubra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written,descriptive. Able to visualize while reading. Unbelievable writing for a 8 year old boy.Proud of you. Keep it up Neel

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! So proud. We've got so much to learn from you, Neel!
    Priya

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was travelling with neel through this blog... Amazing.... We have so much around us to explore! Thanks neel, Jayanthi, purva hihighland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well written Neel. Hope to see more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Neel I never visited Pench or Tadoba but I felt that I was there right next to you and seeing through your eyes. Beautifully written ��
    @Murali and Chandrika you are setting tough goals for parents like me.
    Thank you so much for sharing!!
    Deepika (Bangalore)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great blog! I think I like the Indian sloth bear the best because he has hair like me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Indian sloth bear is actually a rare species, but they are commonly seen in Tadoba

      Delete